Whole Wheat Fusilli w/ Sage and Crimini Mushrooms



When I dropped my bags and lifted my arms towards the general direction of the East River, I envisioned afternoons enjoying the tall windows, shaping gnocchi, coring apples, sifting spices into chai and perfecting my poached egg.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I don't have the leisurely (usually) to engage with my more ambitious recipes. My internship is more or less full-time, and I started bartending weekends. So I've been eating a lot of toasted sourdough, stir-frys, Amy's soups and pasta. But I thought I should tell you that even if there's no time for homemade pasta, (I think this speaks to most of us), there's still that 10-12 minutes before al dente. Enough time to slice some mushrooms, garlic and sage.

This is simple. Too simple to be a recipe. This is a basic flavor combination that will make a 15-minute dish feel more decadent. I found myself slowing down, despite myself, the moment the sage filled the airspace with it's wonderful, rain-on-old-wood, parfume.




Whole Wheat Fusilli w/ Sage and Crimini Mushrooms
makes 2 settings

1 cup dry fusilli
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup red wine
7-10 garlic cloves, minced
6 large (or 8 small) crimini mushrooms, sliced
2-4 sprigs sage for garnish

Start the fusilli according to package instructions. (Or, if you've the time, I found a recipe for homemade fusilli on Made With Love.) In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and sugar, slowly adding the wine to made a fragrant paste. Add the garlic and mushrooms, stirring occasionally to ensure everything gets coated. Once the garlic shifts from white to translucent, take it off the heat.

Drain the pasta. Pour it back in its pot and incorporate the savory mushrooms. Serve, and garnish liberally with sage.

Bon App' my busy friends.

Comments

Popular Posts